1. I’ve received an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL). Why?

    You will have received an IAL if DVLA records indicate your vehicle is taxed, but does not appear on the Motor Insurance Database (MID). This may indicate that your vehicle is not insured.

  2. I’ve received an IAL. Now what?

    If you intend to use your vehicle you must ensure it has valid insurance and that your insurance company has added your vehicle to the Motor Insurance Database (MID). You can check if your record appears on the MID 

  3. I don’t use my car. Why should I insure it?

    If you do not use your car, and it is kept on private ground, you can declare it off the road to the DVLA with a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN). The DVLA requires you to complete a V890 form. You can do this online or download the form and submit it by post.

    If the vehicle is kept on public land the law requires that it is continuously insured.

  4. I completed a SORN application a few days/weeks ago. Why have I received an IAL?

    Once you’ve declared your vehicle as off road using the SORN procedure it may take some time for DVLA records to be updated. This means you might receive an IAL. If you have completed the SORN declaration you can contact the DVLA to confirm that it has been received and is being processed

    While your vehicle is not on the Motor Insurance Database (MID) you are at risk of receiving a fixed penalty notice and, if you are caught driving, you could have your vehicle seized, be fined and incur six penalty points on your licence.

  5. My insurance policy allows me to drive other cars. Does this mean I’m always covered?

    Not necessarily. Many insurance policies that enable you to drive other vehicles also require the other vehicle to be insured in its own right. To avoid any doubt you should ensure the vehicle you are driving is also insured.