What is the scam?
You may have been cold called by someone claiming to be from MIB or who says they got your information from the Motor Insurance Database (MID). They may be trying to scam you by:
- Saying that they have been instructed by MIB to call you about your accident claim
- Asking you to give information about any motor accidents you have been involved in
- Encouraging you to give false information in order to make a claim to MIB
- Trying to get your personal data or banking details so that “your compensation” can be paid to you
Who does MIB contact?
- Individuals or their legal representatives who have submitted claims for an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver
- A named defendant/third party in a claim
- The registered keeper of a vehicle that does not appear to be insured according to the Motor Insurance Database (MID). MIB will send a warning letter that sets out the immediate action required to stay legal and avoid getting a Fixed Penalty Notice from the DVLA.
What does MIB not do?
- Call any member of the public about claiming for motor accidents unless you have already made a claim to MIB
- Sell or give out the information held on the Motor Insurance Database to third parties
- Ask for your banking details via the telephone
- Hold your email or telephone contact details on the Motor Insurance Database
Scam callers can use a process known as ‘spoofing’ to falsify their telephone number to make it appear as though their call is coming from MIB. If you are in any way suspicious of a call from someone claiming to be from MIB, please disconnect the call, allow 5 minutes for the line to be clear, or use a different line and contact us on one of our advertised numbers. We will be happy to let you know whether or not the call was genuine.
To tackle scam calls we are working with a number of organisations including the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) to identify, limit and ultimately prevent scam calls. The ICO is aware of this increasing problem https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/nuisance-calls/
You can help by reporting the scam call details in the form below. Any information you provide us will always be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.